Skip to main content

Explicit

When people talk, do they always say what is on their mind? Or do they live in a fear that words once thrown, like stones, can create ripples in the water? I have been thinking of how honest people actually are, when I got the news that honesty is a flexible term and can be moulded according to the situation or circumstance.

As I rode my two Wheeler to office today, I looked around on the street and saw 'dishonest' people. Where are they going? What are they going to say next which may not be honest? I was infuriated at the thought that at some point of time I can also be 'dishonest'. So what is honesty? Should people be explicit with their feelings to be considered honest?

A friend who comes dressed like a Fashion disaster wouldn't want to hear the words circulating in your head. So you say nice things to her like, oh what a lovely dress! But do you really mean it? Most often NO. Then are we being truthful?

We two people fall in love, it is an amazing feeling. We are on top of the world if we are in love. Many years later we get used to the feeling. And even later, we get used to the person. So the next time a couple is making love, and if one of them is thinking of some other person than the one he/she is making love to, is it considered cheating? Shouldn't they be honest about their depleting feeling of love?

At work, we are branded as something or the other. The famous ones are; The Worker, The Non-Worker, The Gossip Girl, The Stinker, The Hitler, etc. What if a colleague who is close to you gets branded by an even horrible name, like maybe The Slut? Would you be honest enough to tell her? I guess not. Because that would complicate the entire relationship. So we go our way and let them go their way, without being honest about anything at all.

How many times have we come across someone who really likes us but we somehow don't like them at all? And when this someone, keeps telling you that they like you over and over again, we at some point say a mercy 'I like you too' just to make sure we don't hurt them and still receive their un-divided attention. Can't we be explicit about are feelings and lose the affection we all crave inside? Hell, NO.

Then why do we harp on the fact that people are supposed to be honest and tell us what they actually feel, when we ourselves are not honest enough? The world spins on the mercy of humankind and there is a lot more to life and complicated human relations, than we see in the holy books of Honesty!

Comments

Rika said…
"Honesty is the best Policy" is a proverb and is limited to books. It'll stay that way as long as we don't care about anybody's feelings and wanna hurt them by speaking the truth.
pawan said…
True!
Even though if a person tries to be honest in the above situations, the person to whom we tell the truth may label us as Jealous, indecent and stuff like that!
I think the practical applications of honesty are far different from the theoretical one's as the above blogger mentioned!

Nice post!

It's good to see you blogging after a long time!

Cheers!!
Unknown said…
Gr8 stuff!!!It raised a qs 2 myself... how dishonest Iam bein unknowingly everyday!!!!
Anonymous said…
So true! You teach kids to be honest and then to be tactful- dishonesty by omission!
Unknown said…
Good you think this way atleast!!! A lot of people wouldn't even bother.. they live such empty lives without realizing the right or wrong/the good or bad abt what they do and how they live their lives!!!

Anyways, my viewpoint on dishonest thoughts and feelings- We are humans.. we are insecure to the core!!!No matter how much we deny, the bigger the ego, the more insecure we are!!! so how do we deal with it??? - we gossip abt others, we label others smthing... we bitch abt them... and we just cover it up by having dishonest thoughts emotions and deeds in our lives!!!
Unknown said…
Thanks Div & Aditi. It means a lot!

Popular posts from this blog

It Happens Only Once?

I have touched love, tasted it, felt it, sensed it, and felt alive with it! Love has done the same to me too. Its funny, I have had many people ask me, what is Love? How do you know that it is Love? I wish I could tell them, there is nothing else, but Love! But then I know they would look at me with a weird look in their eyes which says, I have heard many stupid answers before, but this is an original. Disappointed, I resign and explain, like I would to a child, what love feels like. India is a place, dominated by a crazy culture called 'Bollywood'. Its amazing to see the impact it has on one and all. If anyone should ask me, what rules India, I would like the answer to be Bollywood. Life, including politics, takes inspiration from this Industry. Then why shouldn't Love? Imagine the dreamy eyed Shahrukh Khan on a basketball field, looking love struck and telling the kid, Pyaar sirf ek baar hota hai. The impact this dialogue had on the audience was phenomenal! I can't se

WHO DUN IT??

Long time ago when man lived in caves, they often wondered if it was by magic that the voice echoed in the darkness of the cold barren caves. Evolution, as the scientists say, started in these dark barren caves, where cave men evolved to become the more civilized human race. But still the mystery continued. The mystery of sound! Man continued to be bewildered by Nature. And this kept him busy. He tried to figure out ways to improve his life. Life as we know it today, owes its gratitude to many known and unknown faces. If it were not for people like James Clerk Maxwell or for Heinrich Hertz we would have never stopped being awe struck by sound. Ever since they figured out electromagnetic waves the world took another leap at technology. It was a small step for these scientists and a huge leap for Radio. Wireless communications helped bond boundaries and bring people closer. But confusion begins every time a teacher asks her student, “Who invented Radio?” The answer never surprises anybod

Can't Blame The Hormones!

Slam the door hard of their faces ! My head reels, the voice becomes louder and louder. Come on, do it. Slam the door . I resist the voice, my anger raising within me. I close my eyes, trying to think of something pleasant. I feel the anger abate slowly. Teenagers they say, feel surges of anger or any emotion strongly. They say that the Hormones that are at work during their age causes this to happen. They relate bad behaviour, eccentricity, bad sense of dressing and mostly everything they do, to this fact. In the seven years of my adolescent life, I have learnt that if you let your Hormones rule you, then you will never win your parents over. So I tried, real hard, to keep my strong overflowing emotions at bay. But no matter how hard I tried, they irrupted once in a while. Which was not so bad, considering that my peers let them run loose. Slowly, but steadily, I could control my out bursts of anger. That's when I realised I had it in me to control not only my emotions but my l