Skip to main content

Traffic!


This Is What Happens If You Don't Listen!
Another morning, another day! The sun rises lazily from the sleepy horizon. I am ready today. I’ll not be disappointed. The traffic is still beginning to wake up. As I drift through the beach road, I think, these people are so conscious about themselves. They’ll do anything to keep fit. Yawn! As I cruise the roads I see many people. Some very smartly dressed going to offices and colleges. I see street vendors. They are very rare cases, I think to myself. Its just 8:00 am. The sun is up and bright in the sky.
Red, Orange and Green! I see the signal lights. They excite me! Especially the Red Signal!! Vroom vroom…zoom…Ah, finally the traffic is coming alive!! The sound of the traffic runs through me like music. Just then I hear a nerve wrenching screech! Yes, that’s it. Excitedly I turn around to see who that was. Is he dead? Is he alive? I rush to the scene, thrilled to see what happened! There was a lot of crowd. But the guy, on a two wheeler, got away with out a scratch. He was overtaking a car from the left side. A common mistake in Vizag, I sneer. I finally found my target - the guy in a blue shirt, who is racing the streets on a new two wheeler! Youngsters on their new bikes, without helmets! I just love them, I smile gleefully.
I follow him, past street vendors, past schools and shops. Every time he would overtake a vehicle from the left side, I would speed up to catch up with him. Every time he rashly cut someone’s path, I was excited. I kept going after him. He’s not wearing a helmet! I observe. His bike is new, that means disc breaks! By now I was really amused by how he set the entire scene for a perfect accident. We finally stop at a Red light. The biker had no choice; he couldn’t jump the light because there were other vehicles that blocked his path. Just then I see another one. This time a car, taking a U-Turn where it was banned. He wasn’t wearing his seat belt and he was even talking on his cell phone! I wonder if I should change to the chap in the car, I think. With so many people breaking traffic rules, it’s very tempting to change targets.
As I stood waiting for the light to change, a shower of spit flew from a window of a bus next to me, missing me by just an inch. Do they practice this perfect projectile of spit so that it misses passers by? Heheheh! The light changes. And I decide to stick to my previous target. He is more interesting. Vohooo…he is going really fast. I guess I can finally find someone! The biker races through traffic, cutting in front of other speeding vehicles on the highway. Yes! I encourage him to go faster. Tring tring…Yes now! Answer the call. He answers it. Like as if in slow motion, everything happens!
He reaches for his cell phone in his pocket. As luck would have it a mongrel crosses the road, unaware of the biker. The biker sees the dog, in the nick of the moment and jams his breaks. But with the cell phone in one hand he looses control, and heads straight for a speeding lorry. CRASH! Music to my ears! La la la la la…I sing as the crowd gathers. Finally I won’t be alone anymore! Just then I hear the sirens of an ambulance. NO! I follow the ambulance as it whisks him away to a nearby hospital. I see him, blood all over his head, unconscious. Come on! They rush him into the ICU. After waiting for what seems like ages, I see the doctor come out and telling the boy’s relatives, that he was going to be okay. But that he was driving rashly and broke many traffic rules.
Oh No! He got away, what am I going to do now? I was so disappointed. Slowly I drag my self out of the ICU. Oh well, another day another victim. I find some solace in this statement. I too was once where the biker is now. But I wasn’t as lucky as he is. If I were, I would be driving so cautiously; following all the traffic rules to the T! And I wouldn’t be this lonely soul wandering the streets to find some company!

Comments

pawan said…
well is this a real incident????
newayz we cant save the poor guy showing off on his bike but its so heart breaking to see death. well i liked ur writin style nd ur blog but i didnt like the part where u said that the sound of an aciident is like music 4 u!!!
death is not a joke!!!
when it happens nothing else happens!!!
bt nice piece!!!

Popular posts from this blog

It Happens Only Once?

I have touched love, tasted it, felt it, sensed it, and felt alive with it! Love has done the same to me too. Its funny, I have had many people ask me, what is Love? How do you know that it is Love? I wish I could tell them, there is nothing else, but Love! But then I know they would look at me with a weird look in their eyes which says, I have heard many stupid answers before, but this is an original. Disappointed, I resign and explain, like I would to a child, what love feels like. India is a place, dominated by a crazy culture called 'Bollywood'. Its amazing to see the impact it has on one and all. If anyone should ask me, what rules India, I would like the answer to be Bollywood. Life, including politics, takes inspiration from this Industry. Then why shouldn't Love? Imagine the dreamy eyed Shahrukh Khan on a basketball field, looking love struck and telling the kid, Pyaar sirf ek baar hota hai. The impact this dialogue had on the audience was phenomenal! I can't se

WHO DUN IT??

Long time ago when man lived in caves, they often wondered if it was by magic that the voice echoed in the darkness of the cold barren caves. Evolution, as the scientists say, started in these dark barren caves, where cave men evolved to become the more civilized human race. But still the mystery continued. The mystery of sound! Man continued to be bewildered by Nature. And this kept him busy. He tried to figure out ways to improve his life. Life as we know it today, owes its gratitude to many known and unknown faces. If it were not for people like James Clerk Maxwell or for Heinrich Hertz we would have never stopped being awe struck by sound. Ever since they figured out electromagnetic waves the world took another leap at technology. It was a small step for these scientists and a huge leap for Radio. Wireless communications helped bond boundaries and bring people closer. But confusion begins every time a teacher asks her student, “Who invented Radio?” The answer never surprises anybod

Can't Blame The Hormones!

Slam the door hard of their faces ! My head reels, the voice becomes louder and louder. Come on, do it. Slam the door . I resist the voice, my anger raising within me. I close my eyes, trying to think of something pleasant. I feel the anger abate slowly. Teenagers they say, feel surges of anger or any emotion strongly. They say that the Hormones that are at work during their age causes this to happen. They relate bad behaviour, eccentricity, bad sense of dressing and mostly everything they do, to this fact. In the seven years of my adolescent life, I have learnt that if you let your Hormones rule you, then you will never win your parents over. So I tried, real hard, to keep my strong overflowing emotions at bay. But no matter how hard I tried, they irrupted once in a while. Which was not so bad, considering that my peers let them run loose. Slowly, but steadily, I could control my out bursts of anger. That's when I realised I had it in me to control not only my emotions but my l