Skip to main content

Elated!


Beep Beep went my phone late last night. I had to get up early in the morning, and so I was contemplating on checking the sms. Because once I start replying to one sms, they start flowing till I lose all sleep. But women are curious creatures. I picked up my phone and was surprised to see an sms from my ex-boss. Quickly opening the sms, I see a single word, 'Congrats'! Congrats? I wondered. Why is she congratulating me? I thought. So I replied back asking her what the congratulations were for?

The wait for the next sms sent various thoughts in my head. Was I going to be given a promotion? Ah, that is highly unlikely, I thought. Then I thought that she knew something which I had no clue about. But what? I mused.

Beep Beep. Ah! finally a message. I hurriedly picked up the phone and opened the message. I read it. I read it again slowly. I didn't know how to react. Did I really? Or is she playing with me?

"What happened?", mom asked seeing my expression change to a smile.

"My ex-boss says I won a consolation prize for that Indiatimes competition I participated in this month", I said unable to control my grin now.

"Wow, Congrats", my said, hugging me.

"I don't want to get all excited. First let me confirm that", I said trying to contain my excitement. A prize was a prize no matter how small.

I could hardly sleep a wink through the night. Partly because I had to wake up at 5 in the morning and partly because I was excited.

Next day, I reached office at about 6:30am and I rushed to the computer, half expecting the news to be false. But as I opened my inbox, I saw a mail. I opened it again thinking that this mail must be a general mail about the winners. As I was skimming through the mail, my heart almost fell. I couldn't see my name. Almost when I was convincing myself that I didn't win anything, I saw my name! "Teja Priyadarshini, Radio Jockey, Radio Mirchi ("Who Dun it?")"

My heart started beating faster, I have never won anything in writing before. Could this be true? It was. Though I did not win a first, second or a third place, I won one of the five consolation prizes. This was enough for me.

Looking back, I hard hardly spent two hours on it. It was the last day and my boss asked me to go for it. I was skeptical. I read the mail again. I was feeling elated. I won in a National competition!

I went into my studio feeling very nice about myself. When my boss arrived I told her the good news. She was so happy for me that she hugged me tightly.

"Congratulations! I guess now I can send a mail to all saying what a fantastic team I have!"
"Yes", I said grinning widely.

I still had that grin on my face when she left. I knew it wasn't much, but it was a starter. I never had much confidence in my writing skills. But this competition instilled something in me which I thought I had lost forever - Confidence!

Soon my mail box was flooding with mails from everyone in the Radio Industry, as my boss sent all of them a link to my article in my blog. It was a real encouragement and I never felt this good in a long time.

I guess there comes a time in everyone's life when a light shines brightly showing us the way in which we are supposed to walk. I was walking in darkness for sometime. But now I have realised that my path lies in expressing what I see, hear and feel in words, that can weave magic and make people realise that Life, after all, is not so bad!

Comments

pawan said…
So, its hence forth proved that a prize need not be a first prize only. Well its great to hear that good writers like you are winning. Maybe you should participate in more competitions. Then you can hit the bulls eye...
Can you please post that prize winning piece of paper on this blog??
Rika said…
Congrats on that...i read the article n u deserve it...but then who else can write it better than an RJ :)

Popular posts from this blog

It Happens Only Once?

I have touched love, tasted it, felt it, sensed it, and felt alive with it! Love has done the same to me too. Its funny, I have had many people ask me, what is Love? How do you know that it is Love? I wish I could tell them, there is nothing else, but Love! But then I know they would look at me with a weird look in their eyes which says, I have heard many stupid answers before, but this is an original. Disappointed, I resign and explain, like I would to a child, what love feels like. India is a place, dominated by a crazy culture called 'Bollywood'. Its amazing to see the impact it has on one and all. If anyone should ask me, what rules India, I would like the answer to be Bollywood. Life, including politics, takes inspiration from this Industry. Then why shouldn't Love? Imagine the dreamy eyed Shahrukh Khan on a basketball field, looking love struck and telling the kid, Pyaar sirf ek baar hota hai. The impact this dialogue had on the audience was phenomenal! I can't se

WHO DUN IT??

Long time ago when man lived in caves, they often wondered if it was by magic that the voice echoed in the darkness of the cold barren caves. Evolution, as the scientists say, started in these dark barren caves, where cave men evolved to become the more civilized human race. But still the mystery continued. The mystery of sound! Man continued to be bewildered by Nature. And this kept him busy. He tried to figure out ways to improve his life. Life as we know it today, owes its gratitude to many known and unknown faces. If it were not for people like James Clerk Maxwell or for Heinrich Hertz we would have never stopped being awe struck by sound. Ever since they figured out electromagnetic waves the world took another leap at technology. It was a small step for these scientists and a huge leap for Radio. Wireless communications helped bond boundaries and bring people closer. But confusion begins every time a teacher asks her student, “Who invented Radio?” The answer never surprises anybod

Can't Blame The Hormones!

Slam the door hard of their faces ! My head reels, the voice becomes louder and louder. Come on, do it. Slam the door . I resist the voice, my anger raising within me. I close my eyes, trying to think of something pleasant. I feel the anger abate slowly. Teenagers they say, feel surges of anger or any emotion strongly. They say that the Hormones that are at work during their age causes this to happen. They relate bad behaviour, eccentricity, bad sense of dressing and mostly everything they do, to this fact. In the seven years of my adolescent life, I have learnt that if you let your Hormones rule you, then you will never win your parents over. So I tried, real hard, to keep my strong overflowing emotions at bay. But no matter how hard I tried, they irrupted once in a while. Which was not so bad, considering that my peers let them run loose. Slowly, but steadily, I could control my out bursts of anger. That's when I realised I had it in me to control not only my emotions but my l