Skip to main content

I am My Best Friend!


Vrooom....I take off on my kinetic Honda every time I feel low. I go window shopping, eat at a near by confectionery, walk around and maybe buy something small, like a lipstick. Soon I start feeling better. Has this ever happened to you? I'm sure it has.

Have you had people tell you not to do something and you have this voice inside you that tells you to calm down, just listen to them and then walk away without saying anything? Yes there is this queer inner voice, that tells you its going to be OK, because you are what you are.

Have you ever felt lonely? Desperate need to talk to someone, feel the love you need? Have you spent night crying yourself to sleep, just because to think no one loves you? Its a common problem that effects one and all, sometime or the other in life.

We think so much about other people. What they say, what they think, what they feel, seems to effect us more than anything else in this world. A need to feel accepted by society. But why? End of the day, who is it that you want to keep happy? Ask yourself this question and the answer comes back to you. My mother, my lover, my teacher, my boss. Tell me something, when will the answer be me?

We are so bothered about people around us that we often forget ourselves. We forget to be happy, to be satisfied. We keep trying to do things that would make other people happy. But what about ourselves? Don't we matter to ourselves?

It is that queer voice that fights for us, that makes us want to hear it, is nothing but the little person inside us. It is what we are, and what we want to be. But we suppress it. That little person knows what you are and what you are capable of. But still we choose to listen to the voices outside. Because we want to keep someone else happy, than ourselves.

We feel sad, frustrated, angry at the world. Because no one seems to understand us. If you don't want to know what you are, tell me, why would anyone else want to understand you? We wish we had a best friend who could listen to us and advice us. What about that little person inside you? Isn't that little person your Best Friend? The person inside you has know you, your entire life. It also knows your fears, your capabilities, and is always there when you need it. But we dismiss our Best Friend, because things outside seem more real than our inner-self.

Why? I ask you again, do we ignore ourselves at the expensive of being unhappy, depressed and demotivated?

We don't need anyone else to make us feel good about ourselves. Its like how Kareena Kapoor says in Jab We Met, "Mein meri favourite houn!". This statement holds true for us too. We too should love ourselves. Only then will people treat us properly and we will never feel the need to impress anyone, as people will automatically be impressed by us.

Once we start being our own Best Friend, we will start feeling more confident and stop feeling lonely, unhappy, and will not feel the need to have someone around us all the time. All of us have a journey we need to complete. Why not do it, enjoying every moment? So the next time you want to use the Rest Room, or go watch a movie, or Window Shop, remember, you don't need anyone. You have 'you', your Best Friend!



Comments

SAFAHL said…
I liked ur profile it is really wonderful and i like ur profession too
Rika said…
Yes to all your questions. Its great how u penned them down...I always do things that make me happy n I guess everyone should do that...Only when we are positive about ourselves will people around us start treating the way we expect them to...but what the heck we don't need to live for others...its our inner voice which matters as u said...as long as ur happy JUST DO IT!!!

Popular posts from this blog

It Happens Only Once?

I have touched love, tasted it, felt it, sensed it, and felt alive with it! Love has done the same to me too. Its funny, I have had many people ask me, what is Love? How do you know that it is Love? I wish I could tell them, there is nothing else, but Love! But then I know they would look at me with a weird look in their eyes which says, I have heard many stupid answers before, but this is an original. Disappointed, I resign and explain, like I would to a child, what love feels like. India is a place, dominated by a crazy culture called 'Bollywood'. Its amazing to see the impact it has on one and all. If anyone should ask me, what rules India, I would like the answer to be Bollywood. Life, including politics, takes inspiration from this Industry. Then why shouldn't Love? Imagine the dreamy eyed Shahrukh Khan on a basketball field, looking love struck and telling the kid, Pyaar sirf ek baar hota hai. The impact this dialogue had on the audience was phenomenal! I can't se

WHO DUN IT??

Long time ago when man lived in caves, they often wondered if it was by magic that the voice echoed in the darkness of the cold barren caves. Evolution, as the scientists say, started in these dark barren caves, where cave men evolved to become the more civilized human race. But still the mystery continued. The mystery of sound! Man continued to be bewildered by Nature. And this kept him busy. He tried to figure out ways to improve his life. Life as we know it today, owes its gratitude to many known and unknown faces. If it were not for people like James Clerk Maxwell or for Heinrich Hertz we would have never stopped being awe struck by sound. Ever since they figured out electromagnetic waves the world took another leap at technology. It was a small step for these scientists and a huge leap for Radio. Wireless communications helped bond boundaries and bring people closer. But confusion begins every time a teacher asks her student, “Who invented Radio?” The answer never surprises anybod

Can't Blame The Hormones!

Slam the door hard of their faces ! My head reels, the voice becomes louder and louder. Come on, do it. Slam the door . I resist the voice, my anger raising within me. I close my eyes, trying to think of something pleasant. I feel the anger abate slowly. Teenagers they say, feel surges of anger or any emotion strongly. They say that the Hormones that are at work during their age causes this to happen. They relate bad behaviour, eccentricity, bad sense of dressing and mostly everything they do, to this fact. In the seven years of my adolescent life, I have learnt that if you let your Hormones rule you, then you will never win your parents over. So I tried, real hard, to keep my strong overflowing emotions at bay. But no matter how hard I tried, they irrupted once in a while. Which was not so bad, considering that my peers let them run loose. Slowly, but steadily, I could control my out bursts of anger. That's when I realised I had it in me to control not only my emotions but my l