Skip to main content

SOUL MATES

Why do we wait and wait and then make all the wrong choices? Are we waiting for a fairy tale to actually start or are we at the end of the road where there is no ‘happily-ever-after’? We try to be cool and think it is worth the wait. And that we will find the special ‘some one’ soon. But we actually realize we were waiting for a sign as bright as a car headlight glaring at us in the dark! We get lonely and then tears can’t wait any longer. The tears too can’t wait and come running down the sides of our face.

Time is running out now. The tears have dried too, but could we really lose what we could never have? Are some things meant to be, like the song of the Lark or the beat of a broken heart? Are we ever going to see a sign as blinding as the morning sun or an arrow that says, here is where you turn? How do you know if someone belongs to you, when all you can do is wait…wait till we see a sign or wait till we are hit by a bus of love.

And then some where in a beautiful cover paged book, on a dog-eared page, I see the words ‘soul-mates’ written. Soul mates! Hmmm…I wonder if there is such a thing as Soul mates! I mean I believe in the soul and I believe in mate. But a soul mate? Who would we considered a soul mate?

Tall, dark and handsome are some of the categories that women may believe in, and beautiful, smart with long legs is what the men may want. But how does anyone qualify to be a soul mate?

Remember the last time you looked at someone you loved and had butterflies in your stomach? Does that count as one of the points of being a soul mate? Or the time when you went on and on about a silly topic and couldn’t stop giggling about it? Or the times when you sat together in comfortable silence, knowing that you didn’t need words to tell each other how much you care? Yes, some where in the pits of my gut I feel that all of these things help in figuring out who your soul mate is.

Then what happens to the TDH kinds and the long legged beauties? Don’t they have a place in being the ‘soul-mate’? We all are attracted to someone or the other all of the time. But the levels of attraction differ from person to person. You can say that attraction to the opposite sex is inversely proportionate to the ‘soul-mate’ factors we just discussed.

These days we use the word so loosely, like calling someone ‘honey’. If we find someone who shares the same interests and likes & dislikes, that is it, they are our long lost soul mates. If you believe (in a theory I read and almost believe) that a soul is cut into pieces when it travels from one world to another, then also believe that, that piece(s) of our soul is born somewhere else for us (hopefully in the opposite sex please!). And that when we come across them, they say (don’t exactly know who), we would be whole again. If this is true then the following is also true, that there is more than one soul mate for us (I can see the smiles coming back now!).

I thought I had found my soul mate when I fell in love with someone who felt, touched, loved, and even had the presence of something like an angel (a little exaggerated). I held him one day and never wanted to let go, because somewhere deep in my heart and soul I left I was some where, some what complete. “You complete me” said Tom Cruise in Jerry McGuire. And that is what I thought I felt that day when I was holding the love of my life, my ‘soul-mate’.

When the relation ended, I never thought other wise. I always will believe that that man in my life was a soul mate after all. And after that, in yet another beautiful cover paged book, on a dog-eared page, I find solace when I read that we can have more than one soul mate in our lifetime. That’s great news. Yipeee! I want to jump up and down in excitement. But then how do we know? How do we know if he/she is the one? Do we ever know?

I don’t think we can ever know. We need to take the leap, sink in the ocean of love for a while and then know if the person you are with is a life jacket or a heavy stone around your neck. But the fear of leaping off the cliff of sanity often stops us abruptly. How do we know? Do we have to spend yet another eternity waiting for our other soul mate to come by, crying our tears in the rain, or disappearing into the darkness of our heart? No. We don’t have to spend our time, eyes swollen red from crying, head splitting up into bits, waiting to find out if we have finally found our soul mate! No. We just need to take the leap. The leap of faith. The leap that takes you into a world of love. So I say, what is the harm? Yes we would get bruised. But what are a few bruises compared to finding your soul in your mate?

Comments

Amogh said…
Yo, someones really thinking of love these days huh???!!!!

Hmmm, well me thinks our whole concept of love is slightly overrated, besides if you really believe in the concept of a soul, then you wouldnt believe in the concept of a soul mate, because a soul is supposed to be perfect, and if the soul is perfect, then it wouldnt need a soul mate. Besides its also said that if you realize your soul, then you will see that the entire world , both animate and inanimate is essentially the same energy and that there are actually no differences between you and the rest of the world , meaning that you would be in love with yourself and the rest of the world!!

Having said that , yes definitely get that feeling you described from time to time, but if you remember what it is that your soul actually represent, then it becomes a little easier to overcome it. So while i dont believe in soulmates , i definitely think companionship is important!! Now how long that companionship lasts, and what forms it takes makes for an interesting question.

I know this is a blatently boring view, but it makes for content living!!! hehe
Unknown said…
Well I agree with you when you say that soul is as complete as the universe is. But it has been proven that is some cases a soul splits in order to learn more than one lesson on earth. It does so willing.

You are right when you said that what we need more than a soul mate is a companion. I agree. When we find a companion, we make them a part of us. A part which not even time can erase. That is the power love has. If you make your companion a part of you, then are you not making your mate part of your soul?

Think about it. Though soul mate is a concept that can be argued in many way, there is an iota of truth in the way we look for a perfect mate who can become a part of our being, our soul.

Now coming to something apart from the current topic, what you said about "if you realize your soul, then you will see that the entire world , both animate and inanimate is essentially the same energy and that there are actually no differences between you and the rest of the world , meaning that you would be in love with yourself and the rest of the world". I agree completly, eeverything around us gives out energy that affects the way we are or can be. That is why staying with positive people will always help u to stay focused too.

We'll discuss this matter when we meet next!

Love
TJ
Unknown said…
Lovely read!!! did u read Brida... I think u did!!! :) if u havnt, next bday thats ur gift from me :D
Runa said…
Hey Tejs...

It is beautifully written. I so can understand what you feel. The insecurity almost is killing sometimes, isn't it?

And ofcourse sweetheart, there is more than one soul-mate. I totally believe in that...read my blog I have posted something similar, though a lil different too.

And soulmates can be friends too. So, keep looking out sweets.

Popular posts from this blog

It Happens Only Once?

I have touched love, tasted it, felt it, sensed it, and felt alive with it! Love has done the same to me too. Its funny, I have had many people ask me, what is Love? How do you know that it is Love? I wish I could tell them, there is nothing else, but Love! But then I know they would look at me with a weird look in their eyes which says, I have heard many stupid answers before, but this is an original. Disappointed, I resign and explain, like I would to a child, what love feels like. India is a place, dominated by a crazy culture called 'Bollywood'. Its amazing to see the impact it has on one and all. If anyone should ask me, what rules India, I would like the answer to be Bollywood. Life, including politics, takes inspiration from this Industry. Then why shouldn't Love? Imagine the dreamy eyed Shahrukh Khan on a basketball field, looking love struck and telling the kid, Pyaar sirf ek baar hota hai. The impact this dialogue had on the audience was phenomenal! I can't se

WHO DUN IT??

Long time ago when man lived in caves, they often wondered if it was by magic that the voice echoed in the darkness of the cold barren caves. Evolution, as the scientists say, started in these dark barren caves, where cave men evolved to become the more civilized human race. But still the mystery continued. The mystery of sound! Man continued to be bewildered by Nature. And this kept him busy. He tried to figure out ways to improve his life. Life as we know it today, owes its gratitude to many known and unknown faces. If it were not for people like James Clerk Maxwell or for Heinrich Hertz we would have never stopped being awe struck by sound. Ever since they figured out electromagnetic waves the world took another leap at technology. It was a small step for these scientists and a huge leap for Radio. Wireless communications helped bond boundaries and bring people closer. But confusion begins every time a teacher asks her student, “Who invented Radio?” The answer never surprises anybod

Can't Blame The Hormones!

Slam the door hard of their faces ! My head reels, the voice becomes louder and louder. Come on, do it. Slam the door . I resist the voice, my anger raising within me. I close my eyes, trying to think of something pleasant. I feel the anger abate slowly. Teenagers they say, feel surges of anger or any emotion strongly. They say that the Hormones that are at work during their age causes this to happen. They relate bad behaviour, eccentricity, bad sense of dressing and mostly everything they do, to this fact. In the seven years of my adolescent life, I have learnt that if you let your Hormones rule you, then you will never win your parents over. So I tried, real hard, to keep my strong overflowing emotions at bay. But no matter how hard I tried, they irrupted once in a while. Which was not so bad, considering that my peers let them run loose. Slowly, but steadily, I could control my out bursts of anger. That's when I realised I had it in me to control not only my emotions but my l